The Women in Data Science (WiDS) initiative aims to inspire and educate data scientists worldwide, regardless of gender, and to support women in the field. WiDS started as a one-day technical conference at Stanford in November 2015. Five years later, WiDS is a global movement that includes a number of worldwide initiatives:
- A conference with 200+ regional events worldwide in more than 60 countries, reaching 100,000 participants annually.
- A datathon, encouraging participants to hone their skills using a social impact challenge.
- A podcast series, featuring data science leaders from around the world talking about their work, their journeys, and lessons learned along the way.
- An education outreach program to encourage secondary school students to consider careers in data science, artificial intelligence (AI), and related fields.
- A workshop series to build your data science skills, inspiring women and girls with role model instructors.