The Directorate‑General for Communications Networks, Content and Technology (DG CNECT) develops and implements policies to make Europe fit for the digital age.
This Directorate-General supports the development and use of information and communication technologies. The DG focuses on the accessability of ICT applications on a broad scale in order for European citizens to benefit fully from ICT. Also, the use of ICT must improve the competitiveness of the EU and stimulate economic growth.
The DG has the following tasks:
- to increase the level of competitiveness and innovation by use of and research into ICT applications
- to define and implement rules to increase the development of information, communication and audiovisual technology applications
- increase the availability of ICT based services, especially those that have the most effect for the quality of life of citizens
- support the contentindustry (such as film and music industry) in order to strengthen the visibility of the cultural diversity in Europe
- to represent the European Commission at international meetings about the media and information society and to stimulate the international cooperation of ICT-research and development
DG Connect conceives and implements the policies required to create a Digital Single Market for more growth and jobs, where citizens, businesses, and public administrations can seamlessly and fairly access and provide digital goods, content and services.
DG Connect foster a modern, secure, open, and pluralistic society building on Europe’s cultural diversity, creativity and respect of creators’ rights and their values such as democracy, freedom of expression and tolerance.