The Centre for Higher Education Studies was founded in 1991. This public research institute is based in the Czech Republic using both qualitative and quantitative methods. The Centre for Higher Education Studies researches various topics in these areas:
- Higher education systems and how they function
- The international dimension of tertiary education
- Problems faced by university students and graduates
- The third role of colleges and universities
- The digitisation of tertiary education
The Centre for Higher Education Studies applies its research in its contracts for state administration, self-government, universities, and other stakeholders. Its other activities include educational, expert, and counselling activities in the distance and lifelong learning sector. They are also a member of DigiKoalice, the Alliance for Open Education and the Czech Association of Distance University Education, and the Czech consortium of the Refernet vocational education network. International cooperation is also a priority for the Centre of Higher Education Studies and is implemented primarily through international projects.