The Federal Ministry of Education and Research, abbreviated BMBF, is a cabinet-level ministry of Germany. Established in 1995, the Ministry is located in Bonn with an additional office in Berlin, Germany.
The Ministry is responsible for the provision of funding for research projects and institutions, student loans, as well as for the planning, implementing and monitoring of general education policy on a national level.
As of 2020, the BMBF comprises of 8 directorates-general (DGs) which deal with:
- Policy Issues and Strategies
- European and International Cooperation in Education and Research
- General Education and Vocational Training; Lifelong Learning
- Higher Education and Research System
- Research for Technological Sovereignty and Innovation
- Life Sciences
- Provision for the Future – Basic Research and Research for Sustainable Development
The German Federal Ministry of Education and Research is a key actor in promoting research excellence and innovation throughout industry. As such, the Ministry is behind a wide range of actions targeting the development of skills and capacities for researchers and supporting the creation of innovative solutions in fields like climate, energy, healthcare, manufacturing, and many more.