The common European data space for cultural heritage, established by the Commission Recommendation C(2021)7953 of 10 November 2021, supports the digital transformation of Europe’s cultural sector and fosters the creation and reuse of content in the cultural and creative sectors. The selected projects will support cultural heritage institutions in making use of 3D and XR technologies and linking up to the data space. They will focus on seizing the opportunities of advanced technologies for increasing the quality, sustainability, use and reuse of 3D and extended reality (XR) data, as well as building digital capacity in the cultural sector by collaborating with existing and relevant European, national and regional initiatives and platforms.
The objective of this call is to support and increase the offer of 3D and XR content in the common European data space for cultural heritage. In this way, the selected projects will help advance the digital transformation of the cultural heritage institutions, as well as the reuse of such content in other domains, such us tourism or education.
The selected projects will add at least one new (not previously existing) 3D and XR scenario to the data space, addressing all of the following aspects:
- Setting or extending the necessary frameworks and tools for the availability of advanced 3D and XR data in the data space for cultural heritage, including sharing know-how and best practices with the cultural heritage community;
- Collaborating with existing and relevant EU, national and regional initiatives and/or platforms for 3D digitisation of museum artefacts, monuments and sites, and XR application in cultural heritage, where appropriate. A particular attention will be given to cultural heritage monuments and objects at risk of war damage, natural disasters, etc.
- Enriching the offer of 3D and XR data in the data space;
- Offering online experiences for the public based on 3D and XR;
- Fostering the re-use of cultural heritage XR and 3D data in important domains such as education, social sciences and humanities, tourism and the wider cultural and creative sector.
Cultural heritage organisations, 3D and XR technology providers, academic and research partners, stakeholders in creative sectors, education, tourism, interested in re-use.
Funding Rate and Budget
Simple Grants — 50% funding rate. The topic budget is EUR 4 000 000.
Timetable and deadlines (indicative)
Call opening: 28 September 2023
Deadline for submission: 23 January 2024 – 17:00:00 CET (Brussels)
Evaluation: February – March 2024
Information on evaluation results: April 2024
GA signature: September 2024